What is Rallycross?
Rallycross is a combination of rallying and circuit racing. It is head-to-head short, sharp races on mixed surfaces (dirt and asphalt) contained within amphitheatre venues. In the headlining FIA World Rallycross Championship, high-profile drivers are equipped with RX1 cars producing over 600bhp and the ability to accelerate from 0-100km/h in less than two seconds – faster than a Formula 1 car. The World Championship is supported at selected events by the FIA RX2e Championship and FIA European Rallycross Championship for RX1 and RX3 cars.
VIDEO: What is rallycross?
- Each event is made up of free practice sessions, four rounds of timed qualifying races, two knock-out Semi-Finals and one Final
- Each qualifying round features a number of races (depending on total number of entries), with a maximum of five cars starting abreast in each race, held over four laps
- QUALIFYING 1 (Q1): Starting positions for the races are determined by a random draw carried out in advance
- QUALIFYING 2-3-4 (Q2-Q3-Q4): Grids are determined according to timed classification of the previous qualifying round
- Qualifying Classification is based on finishing time rather than finishing position (so a driver who places fourth in race one with a finishing time of 3m00s will rank higher than a driver who finishes first in race two with a slower time of 3m05s, for example)
- The top 12 drivers after all four Qs progress through to the two Semi-Finals, with odd-numbered positions going to Semi-Final 1 and evens in Semi-Final 2
- The top three from each Semi-Final then advance to the Final, where the overall winner of the event is crowned
- Drivers score championship points at three stages of the event
- The top 16 drivers after the four Qs (Intermediate Classification) score points ranging from 16 for first place, down to one point for 16th place
- In each Semi-Final, points are awarded from six for the winner down to one for sixth place
Scoring for the Final is as follows:
1st: 8 points
2nd: 5 points
3rd: 4 points
4th: 3 points
5th: 2 points
6th: 1 point
- The maximum score at each round is 30 points (16+6+8). All points scored in every round of the season count towards a competitor’s overall score
- The Teams’ Championship is open to World Championship teams fielding two cars, and includes all points scored by both of the team’s drivers at each event