WORLD RX ANNOUNCES REVISED 2019 CALENDAR
Following the conclusion of the FIA World Motor Sport Council meeting, the FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy has announced a reduced 2019 calendar of 10 events, with the postponement of World Rallycross of USA which was scheduled to take place at COTA in Austin, Texas from 28-29 September.
World RX Managing Director for IMG, Paul Bellamy, said: “After consulting with the FIA and our World Championship teams, we have decided to reduce the number of events in our 2019 calendar. This decision has been made to help control costs for the teams and ensure the series remains as competitive as possible. We remain very excited about the 2019 season with 10 high-octane events.
“We will run a round of the Americas Rallycross Championship (ARX) at COTA on September 28-29, which World Rallycross teams will be welcome to compete in, but it will not be part of the World Championship. We are planning the return of the World Championship to the USA in 2021 when we add electric cars. We are still very much committed to growing rallycross in the USA and will continue to build audiences and platforms through our Americas Rallycross Championship. Further details on the ARX calendar and venues will be shared soon.”
The revised FIA World Rallycross Championship 2019 calendar is as follows:
1. Abu Dhabi – Yas Marina – 5/6 April
2. Spain – Catalunya Barcelona – 27/28 April
3. Belgium – Spa-Francorchamps – 11/12 May
4. Great Britain – Silverstone – 25/26 May
5. Norway – Hell – 15/16 June
6. Sweden – Höljes – 6/7 July
7. Canada – Trois-Rivières – 3/4 August
8. France – Lohéac – 31 August/1 September
9. Latvia – Riga – 14/15 September
10. South Africa – Cape Town – 9/10 November
Calendar provisional pending homologation of circuits and approval of the World Motor Sport Council.